The last 12 months have been busy and rewarding for DIO and we can be proud of our many achievements as we look forward to the year ahead.
The publication of the 2015 Strategic Defence and Security Review (SDSR15) late last year has also given DIO clear direction for the next five years and beyond. We have a pivotal role in three areas - site disposals, prioritised investment on the estate, and the delivery of savings.
In addition, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) made the decision not to move the DIO to an incorporated model in 2016, which would have seen DIO become a wholly owned Government Company.
These drivers demand of DIO a continued focus on developing better and deeper relationships with our customers. It also means the role of DIO needs to evolve in terms of its relationships and interactions with the Department, military commands and Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S).
Looking forward, we are focusing on a number of priorities including:
- Integrating the requirements of SDSR15 into our plans
- Ensuring day-to-day service delivery across the estate
- Improving and deepening our relationships with our customers
- Continuing work to sell off land and sites which are no longer required
- Embedding ‘best practice’ established in programmes such as the Army Basing Programme into other major projects
- Continuing to transform DIO to the benefit of Defence
I am confident and excited about the opportunities that these challenges will bring for DIO and the MOD. We have made progress, but we also know that there is more to do to ensure we all work together as effectively as possible across the organisation and the wider Department. DIO has never been more central to the needs of Defence.